In my April 5, 2018 diary blog I wrote the following ” I’m trying to understand what it means to be a Conservative versus a Liberal along with many other issues concerning the democratic process “.I wrote this because although I had renewed my membership in the Conservative Party I have a difficult time these days in truly identifying with any particular party. I am trying to find out where my values fit on the political spectrum from Far Right to Far Left and in between. As a starting part I’m identifying Far Right as Nazi ideology and Far Left as Marxist ideology, and I am definitely neither of these, so I am somewhere in between. In Canada there are four political parties, Conservatives, Liberal, NDP and Greens.
So first I have to define my values:
- I was raised a Catholic and so religion sharply defines my values concerning capacity for good and evil. I believe in the ten commandments as a foundational document to try and live by.
- I believe governments should exercise fiscal responsibility in using tax payers money prudently, balancing budgets and running up minimum debt.
- I believe in the worth of the individual irrespective of race or religion. I don’t believe in identity politics as it divides us into groups and sets us up for conflict.
- I believe in governments being less obtrusive in its citizens lives. Freedom of speech is paramount in this principal as well as not dictating the kinds of speech we should use.
- I believe in the right to life of each individual including unborn children. This is a very, complicated, non-simplistic issue and wish politicians would allow free discussion on this so a compromise can be reached and we can all move on i.e. when does life start, rights of mother etc, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
- I believe in the right of individuals to a minimum standard of living, a minimum sustainable wage and free healthcare. Taxes should be adjusted to sustain these principles over other non essential government services.
- I believe in protecting the environment. I think too much energy and resources is expended on climate change and can be put to be better use in developing green spaces and eliminating waste pollution such as excess packaging and plastic. Climate change issues will decrease with improvements in technology and science.
So where do the above values fit into the context of the Canadian political party system. I would say that items 1,2,4 and 5 can be loosely attributed to Conservative values and items 3 and 6 to the Liberal/NDP and item 7 to the Green Party. Although there are overlaps. So the conclusion is that I tend more towards Conservative than Liberal/NDP/Green values. But if I rank the above in order of priority I may reach a different conclusion which I will leave for another day.